Rock cakes are a very British picnic tradition – hence the name, sturdy when transported! They are in-between a biscuit/scone/cake consistency and taste, and are a great pick me up with a strong cup of tea. I have used blueberries in this recipe to replace the high-sugar dried fruits which are normally used, however, feel free to replace with any other yummy berry.
Coincidently this ‘treat’ is also guilt free as not only is it fructose free, it is also low carbohydrate (‘Paleo’) due to the coconut flour and Gluten Free!
200g coconut flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
100g unsalted butter or coconut oil
70g blueberries (best frozen)
3 medium eggs
5 tablespoons rice malt syrup
4 tablespoons whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the over to 180°c and line a baking tray with parchment paper or grease thoroughly
- Combine the flour, baking powder and butter to make a crumb-like texture
- Mix in the blueberries
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, rice malt syrup, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add this mixture to the dry mixture to from a thick and lumpy dough. If the mixture is till to crumbly then add another tablespoon of milk
- Place golf ball sized spoons of the mixture onto the baking tray
- Bake for 20 minutes until browning slightly. Remove and cool… or eat with some clotted cream (as above)!