Having travelled to the land of Oz recently I have been obsessed with banana bread. If I have to admit it, BB is something that Aussies are better at than us Brits! However bananas are pretty darn high in fructose, and most recipes have 4 bananas PLUS oodles of sugar. So this is my low fructose take, and I think its pretty darn ‘Bonzer!’ (translation: Great!). Slice and eat warm for maximum effect, however it is also fabulous toasted with peanut butter.
3 bananas, mashed
140g unsalted softened butter
2 large eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
200g plain or coconut flour (I used latter due to denser texture)
2tsp baking powder
100g walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°c and grease a loaf tin liberally
- In a large bowl mash up the bananas with a fork and then whisk in the eggs, butter and vanilla extract until well combined
- Sieve in the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the nuts (if using). Fold everything together gently
- Pour mixture into tin
- Bake loaf for around an hour, checking the bake with the skewer test (when inserted into middle it should come out clean)
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin, then tip out and enjoy.