Hurrah the Easter Bunny has made its stops! Hopefully everyone has had a peaceful Easter Sunday and has spent quality time with their loved ones. I certainly have – and I have even had time to whip up a batch of colourful and cute shortbread! This foolproof recipe is great as it can be moulded to any occasion, all you have to do is change the cookie-cutters. I have used some sweet Spring themed cutters, namely bunnies and chicks, and added pastel food dyes to create beautiful biscuits. Plus, with only three ingredients these are simple to create and won’t break the bank!
On a side note, for all you Brits out there, I have found another bargain location to acquire Dextrose! If any of you have ‘The Range’ nearby you can purchase 1 kilogram for £2.49.
Happy Easter Sunday one and all!
180g plain flour
140g unsalted butter
Natural food colours optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Combine the flour and dextrose in a large bowl
- Add the butter and rub into the dry mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Bring the mixture into a ball (add a drop of water if required)
- At this stage add any food colouring if needed
- Cover the bowl with cling film and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge
- Roll out the dough to 1cm thick and use cookie cutters to create shapes. Place these shapes on a baking tray lined with baking parchment
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove to cool completely on a wire rack