“How do you like your eggs in the morning?”
I know how I don’t like my eggs: overcooked, rubbery, watery, dry, underseasoned, spongey, grainy or (the worst) browned *shudder*. They may seem straight forward but scrambled eggs are no piece of (pan)cake, so hear me out and listen to this foolproof approach, I’m b-egging you to try it!.
Scrambled eggs are an easy go-to for any time of day, and are beyond nutritious; think protein and healthy fats. So in order to make the most of them please read the following caveats:
- Don’t add milk/cream/water to your eggs: it doesn’t make them creamy, it makes them split and creates excess liquid resulting in wet and overcooked eggs. Yuck.
- Don’t use high heat: this is the ultimate no-no. Eggs cook best slowly and turn rubbery and dry (and taste gross) when cooked quickly over serious heat. Think like a tortoise: slow and steady wins the creamy-egg race
- Don’t overcook: when you think your eggs ‘need an extra minute or two’, take them off! They will continue to cook once off the heat so take the time precaution wisely
- Don’t leave your pan on the side for too long: eggs coagulate = hello serious pan soaking and scrubbing. Soak that pan as soon as the eggs leave its vicinity!
So what to pair with your delicious eggs? My favourite is smoken salmon (see picture!), but they are also great with sauteed onions and peppers with avocado on the side; sauteed mushrooms and sharp cheddar; parsley and fried pancetta; spoonful of pesto and ham; chopped tomatoes and chorizo… or simply some buttered toast!
Now get cracking… That’s all yolks!!
Ingredients Serves 1
- 2 eggs
- knob of butter
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Hand whisk the eggs, butter, salt and pepper together in a heatproof bowl
- Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water (do not allow the bowl to touch the water) and allow to cook really slowly, stirring regularly
- Cook until the eggs begin to scramble, which should take around 10 minutes
- Around 2 minutes before you think you have the perfect eggs take them off the heat
- Serve the eggs in any way you like!