Sometimes you need a morning boost. Who am I kidding, five days a week I need a morning boost… particularly when embracing a 7am Body Pump class (I just shivered writing this)! For those days, this smoothie is your vice and your only option.
Not only is it quick to whizz up before you run out the door, it is also easy to drink on your commute, huzzah! Plus it packs a tonne of energy and goodness required for any busy morning. Now this recipe does have banana in it, which I know is rather high in fructose, but if I have this smoothie for brekkie then I count this as my daily fruit/sugar intake (i.e. no more ‘sweet’ foods for the rest of the day). Also you may be concerned that by only having half a small banana then you will waste the rest. Well I do not permit wastage, so all you do is wrap up the leftover banana tightly in a storage bag and pop it in the freezer – this makes it perfect for your next smoothie and also keeps it chilled and refreshing! No need for icecubes.
So now there is no excuse to put on your snooze alarm. Get pumping that iron bright and early!!!
Ingredients Serves 1
- 80ml almond/cashew/cows milk
- 1/2 small banana (or 1/3 large banana)
- 1 small avocado
- handful spinach
- 1/2tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- 1tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp protein powder (optional)
- 1tbsp full fat greek yogurt (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Or use a hand blender which is just as quick
- Add more milk if its too thick for your liking