There is something satisfying about starting the day off in a savoury manner. It could be that ‘fullness’ feeling without the sweet-induced high. Either way, this grilled toasty is super nutritious and not your average bread-based breakfast.
It is inspired by Californian-style brunch which often involves eggs with avocados chucked in… although it may sound an odd combination, the textures and flavours really work. The main challenge we have in the UK is getting those darn avocados ripe and tasty! When you buy, check for both dark skin and do the pressure test: place in the palm and squeeze gently, if the avocado slightly yields to the pressure then its a gooden.
If you want to jazz up this recipe, then you can add to the filling. Chuck in some mature cheddar with the avos for a gooey ‘grilled cheese’, some parma ham and tomatoes for an Italian flare or perhaps some pesto, mozzarella and goats cheese to really push the boat out!
Ingredients (serves 2)
2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan (optional
4 large wholemeal slices bread
1 large avocado sliced
1 tablespoon butter
pinch pepper to taste
- Crack the eggs into a shallow bowl and whisk up with a fork for 2 minutes. Add pepper and parmesan (if using)
- Make an avocado sandwich (avo between 2 slices bread), squish a little and then place in egg mixture. Allow each side of bread to soak up the egg mixture for 30 seconds
- In a hot frying or griddle pan melt the butter, and set to a high heat
- Place in avo sandwich and fry until golden on both sides (about 4-5mins each side)
- Sit back, take a bite and pretend the sun is shining down on you in Cali…