9pm hits. You want a treat. There is nothing in the cupboards. Life is hard… or so you think! This cake is just incredible, one minute you are feeling sorry for yourself and in within the next 5 you are in choc-induced ecstacy. All you need are a few cupboard staples, brain cells and a microwave.
You can make this cake as healthy as you like. I tend to use coconut flour and oil due to their benefits (the former high protein, high fibre and gluten free and the latter is so numerous I can’t even compose a list!) but mix and match as you see fit. This recipe is so fool-proof that changing ingredients here and there will still provide a brilliant treat.
4 tablespoons flour (I mix 1:3, plain:coconut)
2 tablespoons dextrose
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa (or cacoa powder)
1 large egg
3 tablespoons whole milk (use 5 tablespoons for coconut flour)
3 tablespoons oil (I use coconut, but you can use any vegetable oil)
1 splash vanilla essence
Dollop nut butter (optional, I use cashew or almond)
- In a large coffee mug mix all the dry ingridients
- Add in the egg and mix well
- Add in the milk, vanilla and oil (if using coconut ensure to melt first), mix well
- If adding nut butter, push a heaped teaspoon into the centre of the batter
- Place in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. The cooking time may vary depending on your micro, but just look for a well risen… how easy is that!?